Remember Pete, my little bat from Day 16? Well, today he got a girlfriend.
I’m down to really tiny pieces of silver sheet and odd pieces of wire in my main scrap box – so I wasn’t going to be making something big today. I had made myself a replacement engagement ring a little while ago (the original had worn too thin and was uncomfortable to wear) out of two circles of wire soldered together, with the front part opened up enough so that I could set a rainbow moonstone with a heart shape either side. I wanted to try this technique out again and I thought that a little bat would look great in the frame of silver wire.
The silver wire I would be using is the Reflections silver wire, which would make life easier with less pickling because of resisting fire-scale.
As you can see, the bat had to be cut in sections from lots of little pieces of scrap silver sheet. It was quite difficult to use a hand saw with such small pieces but, apart from one broken saw blade, everything turned out how I wanted it. Then, I soldered it all together with hard solder, making sure that all the seams were tight.
To make the ring, I decided to take two lengths of round 0.8mm silver wire and shape the middle of each to be a half-oval. Putting the two wires together as a mirror-image of each other, both ends (where the wires lay parallel to each other) were soldered to make the ring shank.
When the bat was placed in the oval, even though it looked fine, I decided to shape the wire around the bat rather than leave it the oval shape. This was easier said than done because the wires had already been soldered together and that left me with only so much wire that would still move. Oh well, hindsight is always 20:20, yes?
Once the “oval” was roughly the right bat-shape, the little bat was soldered in place with hard solder. Any previous solder joints that melted would re-harden again without moving due to the fact that all the pieces were still flat. If this had been shaped or already formed into a ring, this technique would not have worked and a lower temperature solder would have been used to avoid melting the original joins.
The ring was then formed on a metal ring mandrel (looks like a thin cone which is marked out in graded ring sizes) with a raw-hide hammer, so as not to mark or distort the silver. The ring shank cut to size and the joint soldered with medium solder (after having been taken off the mandrel!). I took this opportunity to check the back of the ring and solder again any part that had not been done to my satisfaction.
The ring was put back on the mandrel to check that it was still round and to make sure the ring shank was level (heating the ring for soldering can distort the piece so it is always best to re-check your work afterwards). Looking at the little bat, it occurred to me that she was missing any definition (except for her eyes, which were round indents punched with a sharpened nail and a hammer). Leaving the ring on the mandrel for support, the lines on her wings where her bones would be and the fur-like texture on the main body were created with a motorised engraver. I don’t use the engraver much as it buzzes extremely loudly – even a few minutes of using it is enough for me!
Another check and then into the tumbler for about an hour. It comes out looking really shiny, but after taking photos, I decide that it could do with a final polish by hand to make sure any fine scratches (which show up on the photos but you can’t see by the naked eye) are removed. I am in two minds about adding black (by either Liver of Sulphur or by Gilder’s wax) into the details; on one hand – the patina may not stay in the engraved lines and just polish off, but on the other hand – it may make it easier to see the details and this little bat is really pretty. If I decide to add the black, I will do an update post with new photos.
Anyway, here is the little ring (it’s size is about halfway between “O” and “P” on the ring mandrel):